Saturday, July 27, 2013

Fused Glass Modern Flower Dish with a Retro Daisy Sunburst

fused glass modern retro mod flower daisy sunburst bullseye glass flutterbyfoto flutterbybutterfly.
Fused Glass Retro Mod Daisy with a Sunburst

After a watching more than a few episodes of Mad Men, I was inspired to create these happy little flowers with soft blue starbursts radiating from lime green centers.  To create the base of this plate, I layered transparent green over opaque yellow glass.  The yellow is just barely visible around the edge of the plate, but mostly it adds a warm golden hue to the green base.

fused glass handmade clay mold slump flutterbyfoto flutterbybutterfly
Handmade Clay Molds for Slumping

For this project I wanted to build clay molds to shape my glass plates.  I started by rolling the clay out into a mostly even slab with my dollar store rolling pin.  I then molded the clay around each plate and trimmed.  Once the clay was dryish I removed the original plate and let the clay dry completely.  These molds were fired to cone 6 and then kiln washed so my glass didn't stick.

fused glass clay fun cece flutterbyfoto flutterbybutterfly
Cece Created Little Clay Houses with Chimneys

While I was making boring clay molds, my daughter was creating tiny little houses with windows and chimneys.

fused glass modern flower daisy sunburst color reaction bullseye glass flutterbyfoto flutterbybutterfly.
Fused Glass Color Reaction Flower Petals

Each petal was created from a stack of yellow, turquoise and white opaque Bullseye glass.  I hoped to get a reaction between the copper in the turquoise and the sulfur in the yellow glass.  A list of reactions is available at the Bullseye Glass education website, the reactive potential chart .  I fired these glass stacks to a full fuse in my Jen Ken kiln to 1475 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.  Each stack spread and smoothed out to form unique oval petals with nested circles.

fused glass modern mod retro flower daisy sunburst flutterbyfoto flutterbybutterfl
Fused Glass Dish with a Retro Modern Flower and Starburst

No comments:

Post a Comment