Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Fused Glass Workshop in the Harry Potter Closet

The US Navy has moved us from Jacksonville, Florida to Sicily, Italy this past summer.  My glass workshop was downsized from an expansive 2-car garage to a much smaller laundry room closet.  It has a 5-foot door that opens into an awkward space nestled under the stairs.  Oh well.  We are getting settled and my new shop is almost complete.  

fused glass workshop italy closet harry potter stairs bullseye flutterbybutterfly flutterbyfoto
Fused Glass Workshop (the Harry Potter closet)

The space might be tiny, but the view from my front door is huge!  Here's Mt. Etna right after a rainstorm.  It is an active volcano so maybe a show is in our future.

etna volcano art fused glass workshop italy closet harry potter stairs bullseye flutterbybutterfly flutterbyfoto
The View of Mt. Etna From My Front Door

My new Jen-Ken fiber kiln sits against concrete block and plugs into the highest rated surge suppressor I could find.  I had to leave my big kiln back in the states and can't seem to find a good place for my torch.  I was able to fit 3 storage racks in the weird space under the stairs, I just have to be careful not hit my head.

kiln fused glass workshop italy closet harry potter stairs bullseye flutterbybutterfly flutterbyfoto
My Jen-Ken Bonnie Glo Kiln and Glass Storage

I'm using a vintage metal desk for a worktable.  Some of my favorite pieces hang around me and there's even room for more.  A huge plus of a teeny tiny workshop is everything is well within reach. 

desk fused glass workshop italy closet harry potter stairs bullseye flutterbybutterfly flutterbyfoto
My Work Desk

No comments:

Post a Comment