Friday, January 9, 2015

Day 9 Glass Powder Sgraffito Challenge

Draw apples with a found tool (scraper from scratch board kit), a business card and powder sifters.  This was a tough challenge because I have never drawn fruit or any other still life.  I had a huge amount of trouble trying to decide where the light was hitting each apple so I made a little set-up to better see what was going on.  Also, I used a paper towel to create the texture under the apples, a second found tool.

glass powder bullseye sgraffito fused frit painting apple fruit still life light shadow art flutterbybutterfly flutterbyfoto day 9
Glass Powder Sgraffito Frit Paintings of an Apple

Here is my set-up for the fruit sketch.  I think this took longer than the actual drawings.  I wanted to create strong shadows like you see on the real still life paintings but I had so many light sources in my room that I had an absurd number of shadows.  I shut all the lights off and turned the flashlight on and could really see the apple shape in the strong shadows.  Hope this came across in the powdered glass.

glass powder bullseye sgraffito fused frit painting apple fruit set up light shadow art flutterbybutterfly flutterbyfoto day 9
Today's Drawing Set-up and Tools Used

No comments:

Post a Comment